There are many benefits associated with smiling. Not only can it help to improve our social interactions, but it can also have medical benefits that impact our overall health and well-being. By taking care of our teeth with the help of dental professionals, we can further enhance the quality of our smiles and reap the full benefits of this simple yet powerful gesture.
So, why not try smiling a little more today? Your mind and body will thank you. Applewood Dental can help you start your journey to a better smile. First, let’s explore why we should smile more. Keep reading!
Smiling: The Surprising Benefits of This Simple Gesture
There’s a reason why we’re always told to smile more often. Not only does it make us feel good, but there are also numerous benefits associated with smiling. From improving your mood to boosting your health, let’s take a closer look at some of the benefits of smiling.
Applewood Dental publishes regular blogs on a variety of dental subjects. If you’re looking to get informed about your oral health, take a look at our complete at-home oral healthcare guide here.
Types of Smiles
There are different types of smiles, each of which can convey different emotions. The Duchenne smile, for instance, is a genuine smile that involves both the mouth and the eyes. On the other hand, a fake or forced smile involves only the mouth and is often easy to spot. By understanding the different types of smiles, you can use this knowledge to better interpret the emotions of those around you.
In scientific terms, research suggests there are three primary types of smiles:
- Reward: These smiles convey positive emotions like happiness or approval
- Affiliation: Another positive smile that is an important part of communication.
- Dominance: These smiles convey negative emotions like superiority, disgust or contempt
Now that we understand what smiles are, let’s look at the benefits of smiling and how you can get a better smile with Applewood Dental! Keep reading!
Social Benefits of Smiling
One of the most obvious benefits of smiling is that it can help to improve our social interactions. A smile can help to make us seem more approachable and friendly, which can be especially helpful in professional or social settings. Moreover, smiling projects positive emotions like confidence and friendliness.
There is even a direct correlation between the frequency of a person’s smiles and the number of close friends they have! Smiling can also be contagious, meaning that when we smile, it can help to lift the moods of those around us.
Medical Benefits of Smiling
Believe it or not, smiling can also have medical benefits. It’s not just a feeling of feeling better, it’s a fact that smiling benefits your health! Smiling can trigger the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural feel-good chemicals.
Here are a few benefits of smiling:
- Stress reduction: Smiling can help to reduce stress by triggering the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural feel-good chemicals.
- Lowering blood pressure: Research has shown that smiling can help to lower blood pressure, which can have positive effects on overall cardiovascular health.
- Boosting the immune system: Smiling can also boost the immune system by increasing the production of white blood cells and antibodies, which help to fight off infections and diseases.
- Pain relief: Endorphins released during smiling can also help to relieve pain by acting as natural painkillers.
- Improved mood: Smiling can help to improve mood by promoting positive emotions and reducing feelings of anxiety and depression.
If you’re unsure of how to begin your journey to a better smile, consult with a dental professional at Applewood Dental. We can help you determine which treatment options are best suited for your individual needs. Give us a call at 705-436-5777.
Dental Services For a Better & Whiter Smile
Of course, smiling is also closely tied to the appearance of our teeth. If you’re self-conscious about the way your smile looks, there are a variety of dental services that can help to improve the quality of your smile. For example, teeth whitening treatments can help to remove stains and discolouration, while braces can help to straighten teeth and correct bite issues.
Here are a few treatment options to get you smiling more:
- Teeth whitening: A cosmetic dental procedure that removes stains and discolouration from the teeth, resulting in a brighter, whiter smile.
- Dental bonding: A treatment that uses a tooth-coloured resin material to repair chips, cracks, and gaps in the teeth, resulting in a more even smile.
- Dental veneers: A custom-made shell that is placed over the front of the teeth to improve their appearance. These provide an immediate solution in a more symmetrical and uniform smile.
- Braces: A treatment that helps to straighten crooked or misaligned teeth, resulting in a more aligned and aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Invisalign: A clear aligner treatment that helps to straighten teeth without the use of traditional braces. Treatment results in a more discreet and subtle way to improve the appearance of a patient’s smile.
- Gum reshaping: A treatment that helps to reshape and contour the gums to improve the appearance of the teeth. As a result, clients develop a more balanced and harmonious smile.
If you’re looking for more information about the treatments that will give you a whiter, brighter smile, check out our comprehensive dental services here.
Get a Better Smile at Applewood Dental
As dentists serving the GTA, Canada’s most populated urban area, our team of professionals has worked with clients to solve all kinds of dental problems. No matter what issue you’re facing, whether it’s caused by genetics or habits or bad luck, we’re here to help.
With all the medical and social benefits of smiling, you deserve to take advantage of them! So give yourself the tools to look and feel better by having a whiter and brighter smile. All it takes is a free consultation or a phone call to Applewood Dental. Your perfect smile is waiting!